My blog might be 20 or so reviews behind my Facebook page but I thought I at least report on what were my favourite ten books for 2016 (with an eleventh just for luck and because it’s brilliant).
But before I list my favourites for the year here are some stats. Overall I read 117 novels (and a smattering of novellas). Of those 65 were by men and 52 were by women. In regard to the genre literary divide that plagues us ALL!!!! I read 82 books that lean to the genre side of the ledger while 37 of the novels were more literary.
And so here is my top 10 (or 11):
- Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff (2016)
- The Thing Itself by Adam Roberts (2015)
- The Shore by Sara Taylor (2015)
- The Sellout by Paul Beatty (2015)
- Martin John by Anakana Schofield (2016)
- The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor Lavalle (2016)
- Solar Bones by Mike McCormack (2016)
- The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra (2015)
- Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh (2015)
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (2016)
And number 11..
The Vegetarian by Han Kang (2015 – though first published in South Korea in 2007).
So that was 2016 for me. Obviously I highly recommend the books above. Though I could easily have recommended another 30 or more books. 2016, for all the talk of annus horribilis I read some really fine fiction. Hoping 2017 produced something similar.
Mirrored from The Hysterical Hamster.